Skip to main content

You Deserve A Full Cup

"You can't pour from an empty cup, so fill your own first."

The words paint such a beautiful picture of how life should be.

When you start to feel empty, everything just magically stops so you can "refill your cup."

But life doesn't work that way, does it?
In fact, it seems that when we need that break to refuel the most, is when there is absolutely no time for yourself.

There are chores to be done, sippy cups to fill, butts to wipe, practices to make, dinners to cook, bills to pay, and the very last thing on that list is "fill your own cup."

And what does that even mean anyway?
How does one fill their metaphorical cup?

As women, the formula for success is pretty clear. To be the best version of yourself you need to wear fashionable clothing, have your hair done, drink iced coffee, wax, contour, cardio, drink a gallon of water, avoid sweet treats, yoga, meditate, and substitute all your carbs for cauliflower.

Let me tell you, friends, I spent 3 years trying really hard to make myself fit into that mold in hopes that I would somehow find refreshment there, but it never seemed to come.

In fact, I just felt more tired.

I was confusing mindfulness with self-care.

Then in October, I started a 90-day challenge with Rachel Hollis, the author of Girl Wash Your Face.

She laid out 5 goals to help lead followers to the best version of themselves, but 2 of those goals were the faucet I had been searching for to fill my cup.

First, I woke up an hour early every day to have time for myself. I spent that hour journaling, writing, praying, reading, and listening to podcasts. I kept the TV off, avoided social media, and just allowed myself to enjoy the quiet. That hour focusing on me before anyone else was out of bed set the tone for my day, and it didn't even require me to leave the house.

Then, each night, I wrote down 10 things I was thankful for that took place that day.
The first 5 things were always easy to come up with, but the last 5...those were the life-changing 5. I started finding that I was grateful for simple things like hearing a favorite song on the radio, getting to workout with my friend, or that all 3 of my kids ate dinner. It forced me to shift my mindset from irritation at everything that went off plan, to gratitude. And gratitude brought with it a peace that I didn't even realize I was seeking.

I no longer felt like I was a slave to everyone else's needs. I was finally a priority in my own life.

So, weary friends, I challenge you to try the same thing.
1. Wake up an hour early for yourself (I promise you won't even miss the sleep).
2. Write down ten things you are grateful for every day.

There will ALWAYS be 100 reasons why you can't put yourself first until you decide you are worth it.

You deserve joy.
You deserve peace.
You deserve happiness.
You deserve to come first.

You deserve a full cup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe Its Not About Being Unbreakable

My husband and I have been married for 7 amazing, trying, blessed, and chaotic years. We met at a stoplight when we were teenagers, and after falling in love with someone I met in such a fate-type of way, I started to believe we were unbreakable. We were so destined to be together that God timed our lives down to the exact second that a light would turn red and gave both of us the courage to talk to the stranger in the car next to us. I've truly believed that we could face ANYTHING because I had the partner I was meant to have. Maybe it's the 7-year itch; Maybe its postpartum hormones; Maybe it's watching some close friends go through a divorce; But this year, I started to falter in that confidence. I started to wonder if there was such a thing as fate or destiny. Maybe every couple had their breaking point. That fear effectively turned me into a crazy person. I was hell-bent on "fixing us." I listened to podcasts, I read, I took quizzes, and I asked for advic...

A New Direction

I've talked a lot about how Ladies of the Wild continues to grow and evolve as I find it's purpose. The beauty in that is that I have evolved as well and found what I love, and that is to write. I have looked up to so many of the big names in the hunting industry and aspired to be like them, but ultimately, they are them, and I am me. I have a unique story to tell. I have a deep love for the outdoors, and my three crazy kids. My life is dirty boots and diapers. Pine trees and Paw Patrol. Mountain Therapy and Speech Therapy. I'm a Wild Mom, and I want to share the whole picture with you, not just the outdoor highlight reel. Thank you all for the support and encouraging me to follow this path ❤