Skip to main content

These Boots

I pulled a jacket out of the closet this morning, and before I could close the door, my dusty hiking boots caught my eye.
Maybe it’s the trees changing color or the nip in the morning air, but I feel the pull to be places I’ve never been.
My heart feels like it’s banging against the walls of my chest begging me to break free from the routine, and those boots are the keys to my freedom.
I close my eyes, shut the door, and load the kids into the van for the drive to school.
Since becoming a mom, I struggle with that pull.
I feel guilty when I put those boots on because it means I had to ask someone else to take my kids.
But leaving them in the closet? That doesn’t feel right either.
Those boots have been a part of making me…ME.
You see, those boots have followed in the footprints of the men who taught me to be a strong woman.
Those boots have rested on rocks while I talked about life with my dad.
Those boots have slipped on hillsides where I learned to get tough, dig deeper, and work harder.
Those boots have carried me to places where God has worked on my heart.
Those boots have kicked up by a campfire while I laughed with loved ones about the adventures we've had and the journeys we long to take.
How do I just leave them in the closet?
How do I just skip something that means so much to me?
I look in the rearview mirror, and I see my three wild kids.
My heart begins to calm as I imagine the bigger picture.
Someday, my boots will cut the trail for smaller boots to follow.
Smaller boots will rest on the rocks next to mine and ask me about life.
My boots will hold steady, while little legs learn their strength.
Smaller boots will kick up next to mine by the fire and dream of the adventures to come.
My boots will be there as those smaller boots learn who they are.

My boots might stay in the closet this year, but they won’t stay there long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To The Person Questioning This Autism Thing

"Autism wasn't a thing in my day." "Doctors just want to diagnose everything these days. Everybody is sick with some made up thing". "A spankin' should knock the 'autism' right out of him." Oh, the things I was told in those early days of getting Wyatt diagnosed. It was probably the most insecure time in my life. I knew the doctors were onto something, but I would listen to these people talk at me and nod my head in silent agreement, and then cry in my car on the way home because of the fear that no one would accept my son for who he was if he didn't fit the cookie cutter mold of All American Boy. I also know this story is the same for just about everyone who's child receives an autism diagnosis. Because of that, a lot of families --ours included-- choose not to talk about the diagnosis. I've finally come to realize that people don't say these things to be malicious or to devalue our children. They say it because they...

The Big A Word

"He's on the Spectrum," she said. The words rolled off her tongue like it was nothing. Like she had just told me the sky was blue. But those words sent tears rolling down my cheeks and sucked the air from my lungs. We had been dancing around this diagnosis for over a year, but hearing the words made it so real. I knew that my son was different. I knew that he had struggles that needed to be addressed. But the big A word. Autism. My son was Autistic. I wish I could go back to that moment and tell myself what I know now. I wish I knew what a gift this diagnosis would be. I wish I knew it would open the door that would completely change Wyatt's life for the better. I think the #1 thing people ask me, is "How did you know he had Autism?" The answer is, I didn't. Not until that phone call. The reality though is that knowing he had autism, wasn't nearly as important as the moment I knew he and I needed help. That moment came when he was 2 1/2...

Dealing With Hip Pain (Part 2)

Last week my little #FitnessFriday piece was geared mostly toward moms, but this week I'm coming for everyone else. As I mentioned before, in 2016 I was training hard, following a fairly basic leg day regimine (squats, leg curls/extensions, and deadlifts). Still, I struggled with pain in my hips when I hiked and I honestly thought that this was just the way my life was going to be. It was the price I paid for motherhood. Thank the good lord, I was wrong. I started following The Transform App which I highly recommend for anyone looking for a new routine. It focuses primarily on SINGLE leg work and A LOT of glute work. While I've done more than my fair share of lunges on this program I think the two lifts that have made the biggest difference for me are 🍑Bulgarian Split Squats 🍑Weighted Hip Thrusts