Skip to main content

Its About The Gifts

I grew up as a middle-row every Sunday kind of Christian.
Like most church kids, I knew the classic Christmas story forward and back.
The virgin birth.
Son of God.
Wisemen.
Shepards
Manger.
And most importantly, it's NOT ABOUT THE GIFTS.

When I became a mom myself, and I started teaching my kids about Christmas, without even really thinking about it, I continued the mantra that Christmas was not about the presents.

But this year as I watched the news turn from political turmoil and celebrity feuds to stories of Christmas Magic, I realized, it is absolutely about the gifts.
And I believe that's the way Jesus wants it.

Sure there's the classic gifts like presents and money --and those can go a long way in bringing Christmas joy -- but there are the far more important gifts that are given this time of year.
There's the gifts of time spent with those who might otherwise be lonely.
The gift of volunteering for those who need a hand.
The random acts of kindness that always seem to find their way to help heal a heart that's hurting.
The gift of love.

"And the greatest of these is love." I know I'm taking 1 Corinthians a little out of context here, but the greatest gift given during this season is LOVE.
Love for our family. Love for our friends. Love for our fellow man.
God's love for us in the gift of his son.

And what better way to celebrate the birth of our savior than a month where believers and nonbelievers alike come together to give and to brighten the lives of those in need.

Guys, it's absolutely about the gifts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To The Person Questioning This Autism Thing

"Autism wasn't a thing in my day." "Doctors just want to diagnose everything these days. Everybody is sick with some made up thing". "A spankin' should knock the 'autism' right out of him." Oh, the things I was told in those early days of getting Wyatt diagnosed. It was probably the most insecure time in my life. I knew the doctors were onto something, but I would listen to these people talk at me and nod my head in silent agreement, and then cry in my car on the way home because of the fear that no one would accept my son for who he was if he didn't fit the cookie cutter mold of All American Boy. I also know this story is the same for just about everyone who's child receives an autism diagnosis. Because of that, a lot of families --ours included-- choose not to talk about the diagnosis. I've finally come to realize that people don't say these things to be malicious or to devalue our children. They say it because they...

The Big A Word

"He's on the Spectrum," she said. The words rolled off her tongue like it was nothing. Like she had just told me the sky was blue. But those words sent tears rolling down my cheeks and sucked the air from my lungs. We had been dancing around this diagnosis for over a year, but hearing the words made it so real. I knew that my son was different. I knew that he had struggles that needed to be addressed. But the big A word. Autism. My son was Autistic. I wish I could go back to that moment and tell myself what I know now. I wish I knew what a gift this diagnosis would be. I wish I knew it would open the door that would completely change Wyatt's life for the better. I think the #1 thing people ask me, is "How did you know he had Autism?" The answer is, I didn't. Not until that phone call. The reality though is that knowing he had autism, wasn't nearly as important as the moment I knew he and I needed help. That moment came when he was 2 1/2...

Dealing With Hip Pain (Part 2)

Last week my little #FitnessFriday piece was geared mostly toward moms, but this week I'm coming for everyone else. As I mentioned before, in 2016 I was training hard, following a fairly basic leg day regimine (squats, leg curls/extensions, and deadlifts). Still, I struggled with pain in my hips when I hiked and I honestly thought that this was just the way my life was going to be. It was the price I paid for motherhood. Thank the good lord, I was wrong. I started following The Transform App which I highly recommend for anyone looking for a new routine. It focuses primarily on SINGLE leg work and A LOT of glute work. While I've done more than my fair share of lunges on this program I think the two lifts that have made the biggest difference for me are 🍑Bulgarian Split Squats 🍑Weighted Hip Thrusts