Skip to main content

Just give a crying kid a dinosaur

I have a confession to make.
When I was a mother to just one precious little angel, I was a judgy mom.
I had my nose in the air and firmly believed there was no excuse for children misbehaving in public, or worse yet, children who ran their home.
Nope those parents just needed to look at me and my perfect child to know how to be a good mom

And then The Honey Badger was born.

My son wasted no time serving me a big ole slice of humble pie.

Now, to be honest, I spend my days worrying about how people judge me, or even worse, how they judge him. I've thought about having a shirt made that says "I know we're a shit show. Don't feed the animals and keep moving".

So today as I'm dropping off my son at speech, I see this mom and her son who are new to the therapy office.

I just want to hug her because I see all the same things on her face that I wore on my own when we started this journey with Wyatt.
Exhaustion.
Shame.
Anxiety.
Reluctance.
And all of it under the fiercest mama bear attitude.

As I was getting up to leave, her little boy started having a meltdown. For those of you not familiar with Autism or Sensory Processing Disorders, a meltdown is not a tantrum, though it looks like one. Its bigger and so much harder to contain. It's their little minds unable to process how to handle what's happening to them. The wires just arent connecting like they are supposed to.

I quietly grabbed a dinosaur that I had seen him watching earlier and set it next to him on the table, and it distracted him enough to calm the meltdown before it got too far.

The mom and I exchanged a thank you and a "solidarity sister," and I left.

When I got to the car though, it hit me.
Being a judgemental mom never once helped a mom in need. It never once deescalated a situation. It never once made another mom feel encouraged.

Being an autism mom though? It made me the type of mom who helps another mom without thought.
It has made me the type of mom who will hug another mom so she can cry, and I might just cry with her.

So I say all this because I think maybe other moms need to hear it. Are your kids perfect? Soak that in! You're blessed.
Are there moms around you struggling?
Shut the parenting advice off.
Stop thinking you can fix other people's kids.
Just be the person who gives a crying kid a dinosaur.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe Its Not About Being Unbreakable

My husband and I have been married for 7 amazing, trying, blessed, and chaotic years. We met at a stoplight when we were teenagers, and after falling in love with someone I met in such a fate-type of way, I started to believe we were unbreakable. We were so destined to be together that God timed our lives down to the exact second that a light would turn red and gave both of us the courage to talk to the stranger in the car next to us. I've truly believed that we could face ANYTHING because I had the partner I was meant to have. Maybe it's the 7-year itch; Maybe its postpartum hormones; Maybe it's watching some close friends go through a divorce; But this year, I started to falter in that confidence. I started to wonder if there was such a thing as fate or destiny. Maybe every couple had their breaking point. That fear effectively turned me into a crazy person. I was hell-bent on "fixing us." I listened to podcasts, I read, I took quizzes, and I asked for advic...

The Big A Word

"He's on the Spectrum," she said. The words rolled off her tongue like it was nothing. Like she had just told me the sky was blue. But those words sent tears rolling down my cheeks and sucked the air from my lungs. We had been dancing around this diagnosis for over a year, but hearing the words made it so real. I knew that my son was different. I knew that he had struggles that needed to be addressed. But the big A word. Autism. My son was Autistic. I wish I could go back to that moment and tell myself what I know now. I wish I knew what a gift this diagnosis would be. I wish I knew it would open the door that would completely change Wyatt's life for the better. I think the #1 thing people ask me, is "How did you know he had Autism?" The answer is, I didn't. Not until that phone call. The reality though is that knowing he had autism, wasn't nearly as important as the moment I knew he and I needed help. That moment came when he was 2 1/2...

You Are Responsible For Your Own Feelings

I originally thought I wanted to talk about Holiday eating on this #FitnessFriday, but I've had a change of heart. I want to talk instead about our mental health during the holidays. More specifically I want to talk about the power that we give our relatives over our happiness. Go ahead and slip into some bell bottoms and put a flower in your hair, because I'm going to drop some hippy shit on you, but hang with me. YOU are entirely responsible for the way you let other people make you feel and YOU get to decide how much joy you take away from your holiday. And that can be a really hard pill to swallow when you are sitting across the table from a family member who you just don't vibe with. So how do you combat that? How do you push away their negativity and let yourself enjoy the festivities? The truth is, it starts with your own thoughts. In these days leading up to Christmas, take the opportunity to find the positive in the things that are about to happen. I don...