Skip to main content

Autism and Christmas

🎶 It's the most wonderful time of the year🎶

Or is it? Go talk to any family who has a child on the spectrum or who struggles with SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder), and they will tell you that this time of year is ROUGH!
I think sometimes we get so caught up in the spirit of Christmas and the traditions, that we forget this time of year is stressful for some people.
    Let's take a second and go back to the basics of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) or SPD. These kids usually struggle with lights, sounds, noises, textures, and people.
   
That is literally what Christmas is!!
   
Put yourself in their shoes a second.
   
It's flashing lights, and mobs of loud people and music all crammed in one spot so you can go sit on some weird old dude's lap, whose wearing a suit that feels strange, and you're in clothes that aren't comfortable. He's asking you what you want and if you've been good -- and for young kids on the spectrum they might not even know how the heck they are supposed to respond to those questions -- all the while mom and dad are trying to get you to smile and look at the camera that --spoiler alert-- is going to flash another bright light at you!
    So you melt down, Mom is sad because you've ruined another Christmas card, Dad is mad because Mom is sad, and your siblings are over here losing their mind with excitement that they got to talk to the weirdo in the red suit. And you don't even know where to begin dealing with all that.

Christmas can be magical for kids on the spectrum, but you need to check YOUR expectations.
I'm looking at you, mama who got sucked into a Pinterest dream. I'm talking about you, Grandma who always plans big family parties. You too fun Uncle who wants to start a snowball fight.

Here are a few ways to make this stressful time more enjoyable

1. Let them use the tablet and headphones during loud, busy events.
2. Let them spend extra time with the things they do love. My son really enjoys looking at Christmas lights, and driving around with him has become my favorite part of the holidays. You can set up the train set around the tree. Watch Christmas movies. Whatever it is, let them soak in what they enjoy.
3. Use candid photos for the family Christmas card. Embrace the uniqueness of your family!
4. Enjoy Santa from a distance until they ask to meet him.
5. Let them take breaks when they need them. There's nothing wrong with hanging out in the other room away from the party if it means they also get to enjoy their time.

You don't have to ditch all your traditions or turn Christmas upside down just because someone you love struggles with it. Just chose to be aware and accommodating where you can be, so we all enjoy the holiday season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To The Person Questioning This Autism Thing

"Autism wasn't a thing in my day." "Doctors just want to diagnose everything these days. Everybody is sick with some made up thing". "A spankin' should knock the 'autism' right out of him." Oh, the things I was told in those early days of getting Wyatt diagnosed. It was probably the most insecure time in my life. I knew the doctors were onto something, but I would listen to these people talk at me and nod my head in silent agreement, and then cry in my car on the way home because of the fear that no one would accept my son for who he was if he didn't fit the cookie cutter mold of All American Boy. I also know this story is the same for just about everyone who's child receives an autism diagnosis. Because of that, a lot of families --ours included-- choose not to talk about the diagnosis. I've finally come to realize that people don't say these things to be malicious or to devalue our children. They say it because they...

The Big A Word

"He's on the Spectrum," she said. The words rolled off her tongue like it was nothing. Like she had just told me the sky was blue. But those words sent tears rolling down my cheeks and sucked the air from my lungs. We had been dancing around this diagnosis for over a year, but hearing the words made it so real. I knew that my son was different. I knew that he had struggles that needed to be addressed. But the big A word. Autism. My son was Autistic. I wish I could go back to that moment and tell myself what I know now. I wish I knew what a gift this diagnosis would be. I wish I knew it would open the door that would completely change Wyatt's life for the better. I think the #1 thing people ask me, is "How did you know he had Autism?" The answer is, I didn't. Not until that phone call. The reality though is that knowing he had autism, wasn't nearly as important as the moment I knew he and I needed help. That moment came when he was 2 1/2...

Dealing With Hip Pain (Part 2)

Last week my little #FitnessFriday piece was geared mostly toward moms, but this week I'm coming for everyone else. As I mentioned before, in 2016 I was training hard, following a fairly basic leg day regimine (squats, leg curls/extensions, and deadlifts). Still, I struggled with pain in my hips when I hiked and I honestly thought that this was just the way my life was going to be. It was the price I paid for motherhood. Thank the good lord, I was wrong. I started following The Transform App which I highly recommend for anyone looking for a new routine. It focuses primarily on SINGLE leg work and A LOT of glute work. While I've done more than my fair share of lunges on this program I think the two lifts that have made the biggest difference for me are 🍑Bulgarian Split Squats 🍑Weighted Hip Thrusts