Skip to main content

They're Listening

"Ugh, I suck. I'm the worst. I'm not good at anything."
I've gotten on my daughter 100 times for talking to herself like that.
"Would you say that to your friends? Then don't say it to yourself."
I just could not wrap my head around where my confident daughter was learning to talk to herself like that.

And then I heard it.

On my last hunting trip, I was lucky enough to have a friend record the hunt.
At one point, things weren't going the way I had planned.
I remember mumbling to myself how upset I was.
I remember jokingly saying I wasn't as good as we thought.
I remember calling my husband, still breathing heavy from the hike, and joking that I was too fat for this.
When we retrieved the elk, I remember being congratulated for the shot, but wondering if I could have done better. I was hard on myself for needing help with field dressing. I was physically ill that night because I was so worried I might not be strong enough to pack out. I cracked jokes all day at my own expense.

By the time we got home, I had put all the negativity out of my head and probably never would have thought about it again until I heard that video.
"God dang it. I suck. Damn it, Brandy".

I have no memory of saying those things to myself.

It was like that video forced me to look in a mirror, and I started noticing how I talked about myself. All my comments were veiled as jokes...but was I really joking?
I started thinking about how my husband said he was proud of me. I just laughed and said " I fell down so many times. I needed so much help. It was embarassing".
"Wilson, just say thank you," he said, "You did good".

What if he was onto something?
Maybe I never say thank you, because I don't feel worthy of the compliment.
What if what I had told myself was humility, was really just an excuse to degrade myself while I pretended to the world that I was a confident person.
How would my life change if I started giving myself credit instead of always looking at what I should do differently?
How would my kid's lives change?
How would my marriage change?

What about you?
How would your life change if you let yourself celebrate your success?
How would your family's life change if you were the example of self-love?

I know I want to find out.

Mamas, let's speak to ourselves the way we want our daughters to speak to themselves.

They're listening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe Its Not About Being Unbreakable

My husband and I have been married for 7 amazing, trying, blessed, and chaotic years. We met at a stoplight when we were teenagers, and after falling in love with someone I met in such a fate-type of way, I started to believe we were unbreakable. We were so destined to be together that God timed our lives down to the exact second that a light would turn red and gave both of us the courage to talk to the stranger in the car next to us. I've truly believed that we could face ANYTHING because I had the partner I was meant to have. Maybe it's the 7-year itch; Maybe its postpartum hormones; Maybe it's watching some close friends go through a divorce; But this year, I started to falter in that confidence. I started to wonder if there was such a thing as fate or destiny. Maybe every couple had their breaking point. That fear effectively turned me into a crazy person. I was hell-bent on "fixing us." I listened to podcasts, I read, I took quizzes, and I asked for advic...

The Big A Word

"He's on the Spectrum," she said. The words rolled off her tongue like it was nothing. Like she had just told me the sky was blue. But those words sent tears rolling down my cheeks and sucked the air from my lungs. We had been dancing around this diagnosis for over a year, but hearing the words made it so real. I knew that my son was different. I knew that he had struggles that needed to be addressed. But the big A word. Autism. My son was Autistic. I wish I could go back to that moment and tell myself what I know now. I wish I knew what a gift this diagnosis would be. I wish I knew it would open the door that would completely change Wyatt's life for the better. I think the #1 thing people ask me, is "How did you know he had Autism?" The answer is, I didn't. Not until that phone call. The reality though is that knowing he had autism, wasn't nearly as important as the moment I knew he and I needed help. That moment came when he was 2 1/2...

You Deserve A Full Cup

"You can't pour from an empty cup, so fill your own first." The words paint such a beautiful picture of how life should be. When you start to feel empty, everything just magically stops so you can "refill your cup." But life doesn't work that way, does it? In fact, it seems that when we need that break to refuel the most, is when there is absolutely no time for yourself. There are chores to be done, sippy cups to fill, butts to wipe, practices to make, dinners to cook, bills to pay, and the very last thing on that list is "fill your own cup." And what does that even mean anyway? How does one fill their metaphorical cup? As women, the formula for success is pretty clear. To be the best version of yourself you need to wear fashionable clothing, have your hair done, drink iced coffee, wax, contour, cardio, drink a gallon of water, avoid sweet treats, yoga, meditate, and substitute all your carbs for cauliflower. Let me tell you, friends, I sp...