Skip to main content

You Are Responsible For Your Own Feelings

I originally thought I wanted to talk about Holiday eating on this #FitnessFriday, but I've had a change of heart.

I want to talk instead about our mental health during the holidays.
More specifically I want to talk about the power that we give our relatives over our happiness.

Go ahead and slip into some bell bottoms and put a flower in your hair, because I'm going to drop some hippy shit on you, but hang with me.

YOU are entirely responsible for the way you let other people make you feel and YOU get to decide how much joy you take away from your holiday.

And that can be a really hard pill to swallow when you are sitting across the table from a family member who you just don't vibe with.

So how do you combat that?
How do you push away their negativity and let yourself enjoy the festivities?
The truth is, it starts with your own thoughts. In these days leading up to Christmas, take the opportunity to find the positive in the things that are about to happen.

I don't know about you guys but I tend to dread. I sit there and I worry about how my family will get along or what they might say to hurt each other.
The problem is, all that worry is doing is stirring up the negativity.
Chose to live in the good stuff instead.
When you feel those what-ifs start creeping in, stop yourself and think of something you are greatful for instead.
Replace "Gosh what if my family thinks I didnt do a good job hosting Christmas" with "I'm so blessed that I CAN host Christmas" or "Thank God I get to have the jell-o salad that Grandma only rolls out on holidays".

Your thoughts carry great power over your circumstances. Make them work in your favor!

And sure, that's all well and good until you're standing in front of your sister who just said "Cute hair", when you both know she really meant "WTF is going on with your hair" and now you just want to throat punch her...what then??
Well, this is where you decide if this moment is worth it.
Is that crappy comment or their crappy attitude worth ruining your holiday?
9 times out of 10, the answer is no.

There is something truly amazing about standing in front of someone who has tried to make you feel bad, and deciding that they aren't worthy of stealing your joy.

The holidays are meant for more than presents and family drama.
Spend these days focusing on what you are greatful for and wishing blessings on the family that drives you bananas.

Your positivity will be contagious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Part I Havent Figured Out

This is the part I haven't figured out yet. Friends, I can spin beautiful words on a page about all the amazing things that autism has brought to our lives. I can give you a glimpse into how we have overcome the day to day issues. But I don't know how to do this. I don't know what to do as I watch my child sink it sickness, utterly clueless about what's wrong. I see the way he holds his eyes differently. I watch as his words quickly slip from vaguely being able to tell me something is wrong with his stomach, to no words at all and just groans of severe discomfort. He swaddles himself in a blanket and stares blankly at the wall. He is spending all his energy on whatever is going on inside him, and there is nothing left to even ask for one of his favorite toys. My mom-gut sounds an alarm that this is a different kind of not communicating. This is a different kind of tired. There is something really wrong. And with that comes anxiety that I think only special needs

The Gun Talk

As a hunting, pro-gun family I have one very important thing in common with my anti-gun friends, and that is that we BOTH want to keep guns out of the hands of our kids. I remember the first time I awkwardly had "the talk" with a fellow mom. My husband had been in the garage reloading ammo and the neighbor boy was intently watching and asking questions and then said: "I'm going to tell my dad he needs to learn to do this." My heart sunk as I realized if this kid just ran home and told his parents that the neighbor was playing with bullets in his garage, it could definitely be blown-up and misunderstood. So I text his mom, and in true Brandy-style, I word vomited more than needed to be said. "Hey. We definitely weren't playing with guns around your kid. My husband is just reloading ammo. All our guns are under lock and key, but because guns were being talked about, we also told your son that he is never allowed to touch any in our house if for some

When Insecuritues Control You

Have you ever thought about the power you give to your insecurities? I remember one day a while back, I was getting dressed for the gym and I realized all of my leggings were still in the washing machine. My only option for the leg-day ahead was compression shorts. I died a little inside thinking about how people might judge the cellulite on my legs or think i was too big to be wearing shorts at all. Why couldn't I have been born during a time period where curves and rolls were attractive? But, then again, booty shorts wouldn't even be a thing in that day and age, and I surely would already be dead from small pox or stoned to death for one sin or another by now. I digress. I closed the drawer and decided I could just skip the gym that day. And then it hit me. I was so insecure about other peoples opinions of MY body, that I would rather stay home than risk someone thinking something negative about me. What kind of life is that? What kind of example was that setting for