Skip to main content

The Big A Word

"He's on the Spectrum," she said.

The words rolled off her tongue like it was nothing. Like she had just told me the sky was blue. But those words sent tears rolling down my cheeks and sucked the air from my lungs.

We had been dancing around this diagnosis for over a year, but hearing the words made it so real.
I knew that my son was different.
I knew that he had struggles that needed to be addressed.
But the big A word.
Autism.
My son was Autistic.

I wish I could go back to that moment and tell myself what I know now. I wish I knew what a gift this diagnosis would be.
I wish I knew it would open the door that would completely change Wyatt's life for the better.

I think the #1 thing people ask me, is "How did you know he had Autism?"
The answer is, I didn't.
Not until that phone call.

The reality though is that knowing he had autism, wasn't nearly as important as the moment I knew he and I needed help.

That moment came when he was 2 1/2, after one of our more impressive battle-of-wills. I called his pediatrician with tear stains on my cheeks and asked for a referral to a speech therapist.

Don't misunderstand me, though. I knew in my heart that he needed help long before that day. At 2, he had failed a developmental screening at the doctor and came back borderline on the Autism evaluation. This was the first time speech therapy had been mentioned,  but we decided to wait and see what happened.

The difference between the two moments had to do entirely with my heart.
At 2, I was not able to accept that my son was different.
I did not have a support system who believed that Autism could be anything other than it's most severe form.
I believed I could fix this on my own.

At 2 1/2, I was broken, you guys.
Nothing I tried helped.
It was becoming more and more apparent every day that this was not something my son was going to grow out of.
I needed to set aside my fear of the answer, and start asking the questions.

Because with the questions, came angels in the form of therapists with the answers. They didn't just teach him to speak, or how to socialize, and cope.
They taught ME how to be a better mom for him.
They taught US to speak the same language.

Early intervention was LIFE CHANGING.

If you're reading this, and it speaks to your situation; If you're wondering if your child needs help; If your mom-gut is sounding an alarm;

Go ask the questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Part I Havent Figured Out

This is the part I haven't figured out yet. Friends, I can spin beautiful words on a page about all the amazing things that autism has brought to our lives. I can give you a glimpse into how we have overcome the day to day issues. But I don't know how to do this. I don't know what to do as I watch my child sink it sickness, utterly clueless about what's wrong. I see the way he holds his eyes differently. I watch as his words quickly slip from vaguely being able to tell me something is wrong with his stomach, to no words at all and just groans of severe discomfort. He swaddles himself in a blanket and stares blankly at the wall. He is spending all his energy on whatever is going on inside him, and there is nothing left to even ask for one of his favorite toys. My mom-gut sounds an alarm that this is a different kind of not communicating. This is a different kind of tired. There is something really wrong. And with that comes anxiety that I think only special needs

The Gun Talk

As a hunting, pro-gun family I have one very important thing in common with my anti-gun friends, and that is that we BOTH want to keep guns out of the hands of our kids. I remember the first time I awkwardly had "the talk" with a fellow mom. My husband had been in the garage reloading ammo and the neighbor boy was intently watching and asking questions and then said: "I'm going to tell my dad he needs to learn to do this." My heart sunk as I realized if this kid just ran home and told his parents that the neighbor was playing with bullets in his garage, it could definitely be blown-up and misunderstood. So I text his mom, and in true Brandy-style, I word vomited more than needed to be said. "Hey. We definitely weren't playing with guns around your kid. My husband is just reloading ammo. All our guns are under lock and key, but because guns were being talked about, we also told your son that he is never allowed to touch any in our house if for some

When Insecuritues Control You

Have you ever thought about the power you give to your insecurities? I remember one day a while back, I was getting dressed for the gym and I realized all of my leggings were still in the washing machine. My only option for the leg-day ahead was compression shorts. I died a little inside thinking about how people might judge the cellulite on my legs or think i was too big to be wearing shorts at all. Why couldn't I have been born during a time period where curves and rolls were attractive? But, then again, booty shorts wouldn't even be a thing in that day and age, and I surely would already be dead from small pox or stoned to death for one sin or another by now. I digress. I closed the drawer and decided I could just skip the gym that day. And then it hit me. I was so insecure about other peoples opinions of MY body, that I would rather stay home than risk someone thinking something negative about me. What kind of life is that? What kind of example was that setting for