Skip to main content

The Part I Havent Figured Out

This is the part I haven't figured out yet.

Friends, I can spin beautiful words on a page about all the amazing things that autism has brought to our lives. I can give you a glimpse into how we have overcome the day to day issues.

But I don't know how to do this.

I don't know what to do as I watch my child sink it sickness, utterly clueless about what's wrong.
I see the way he holds his eyes differently. I watch as his words quickly slip from vaguely being able to tell me something is wrong with his stomach, to no words at all and just groans of severe discomfort.
He swaddles himself in a blanket and stares blankly at the wall. He is spending all his energy on whatever is going on inside him, and there is nothing left to even ask for one of his favorite toys.
My mom-gut sounds an alarm that this is a different kind of not communicating. This is a different kind of tired. There is something really wrong.

And with that comes anxiety that I think only special needs moms understand.
I fear him getting a high fever because I can't even trick him into taking the meds to bring it down. I know if we end up at the doctor, I will be shamed for not doing something so simple.

I feel like I'm preparing for battle remembering back to every doctor visit before.
All those months when something was really wrong, and no one listened.

I know that unless I'm lucky enough to get a doctor who passionately understands autism, I will be stuck trying to explain that my mom-gut is sounding an alarm and that I need their help figuring out what is wrong.

I'll have to feel my face turn red with frustration and sadness when they say "its probably nothing" or "further testing is irresponsible to the insurance company."

When we end up back at the doctor again, as it always seems to happen, I'll have to go in with my Google Ph.D. and start asking for more testing and more answers, and pray that the doctor will help me connect the dots.

I'll deal with the shame and embarrassment of being looked at as an over-protective hypochondriac-type mom.

I'll cry tears of relief and joy when we finally meet a doctor that can see past the autism, and what should be, into what is actually happening.
I'll wonder why there aren't more doctors like her out there.

I still don't know how to do this.
I don't know how to be what the doctors need to find answers.
I don't know who I can trust to help me listen when there are no words.
I don't know how to be his words.

I don't know how,
but if this journey has taught me anything,
I do know that I will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe Its Not About Being Unbreakable

My husband and I have been married for 7 amazing, trying, blessed, and chaotic years. We met at a stoplight when we were teenagers, and after falling in love with someone I met in such a fate-type of way, I started to believe we were unbreakable. We were so destined to be together that God timed our lives down to the exact second that a light would turn red and gave both of us the courage to talk to the stranger in the car next to us. I've truly believed that we could face ANYTHING because I had the partner I was meant to have. Maybe it's the 7-year itch; Maybe its postpartum hormones; Maybe it's watching some close friends go through a divorce; But this year, I started to falter in that confidence. I started to wonder if there was such a thing as fate or destiny. Maybe every couple had their breaking point. That fear effectively turned me into a crazy person. I was hell-bent on "fixing us." I listened to podcasts, I read, I took quizzes, and I asked for advic...

You Deserve A Full Cup

"You can't pour from an empty cup, so fill your own first." The words paint such a beautiful picture of how life should be. When you start to feel empty, everything just magically stops so you can "refill your cup." But life doesn't work that way, does it? In fact, it seems that when we need that break to refuel the most, is when there is absolutely no time for yourself. There are chores to be done, sippy cups to fill, butts to wipe, practices to make, dinners to cook, bills to pay, and the very last thing on that list is "fill your own cup." And what does that even mean anyway? How does one fill their metaphorical cup? As women, the formula for success is pretty clear. To be the best version of yourself you need to wear fashionable clothing, have your hair done, drink iced coffee, wax, contour, cardio, drink a gallon of water, avoid sweet treats, yoga, meditate, and substitute all your carbs for cauliflower. Let me tell you, friends, I sp...

A New Direction

I've talked a lot about how Ladies of the Wild continues to grow and evolve as I find it's purpose. The beauty in that is that I have evolved as well and found what I love, and that is to write. I have looked up to so many of the big names in the hunting industry and aspired to be like them, but ultimately, they are them, and I am me. I have a unique story to tell. I have a deep love for the outdoors, and my three crazy kids. My life is dirty boots and diapers. Pine trees and Paw Patrol. Mountain Therapy and Speech Therapy. I'm a Wild Mom, and I want to share the whole picture with you, not just the outdoor highlight reel. Thank you all for the support and encouraging me to follow this path ❤